Patient Rights & Responsibilities
As a patient of Virginia Surgery Associates you have the right to:
- Receive considerate and respectful care at all times.
- Expect that your interactions with our office and information related to your care will be handled confidentially.
- Obtain complete and current information concerning your medical condition, explained to you in terms that can be easily understood.
- Participate in decisions regarding your care and treatment.
- Receive information about the Practice and your rights and responsibilities as a patient.
- Know the identities and professional status of the staff assisting or treating you.
- Expect reasonable safety in so far as medical services and environment are concerned.
- Be accompanied by an individual/chaperone during medical appointments, tests and treatment.
- Bring forward issues surrounding your care or treatment, without fear of retribution or discrimination and expect issues to be fairly investigated, with follow up/resolution in a timely manner.
- Receive, with written permission from you or your authorized representative, access to your medical records and any information that pertains to you, except as required or permitted by law.
- Refuse treatment, providing you accept the responsibility and consequences of your decision.
- Receive an explanation of your bill, regardless of the source of payment.
As a patient of Virginia Surgery Associates, you are asked to:
- Provide your health care professional with accurate and complete information regarding your personal health, medical history and changes in your condition.
- Maintain your relations with other treating physicians.
- Keep scheduled appointments or cancel with as much advance notice as possible.
- Follow the instructions and treatment plan recommended by your health care professionals.
- Speak with your health care professional should you have questions or if you do not understand or agree with your medical treatment.
- Take responsibility for your health by actively engaging in behaviors which will promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Familiarize yourself with and adhere to the Office Procedures of the Practice and Patient Financial Responsibilities.
- Understand your financial responsibilities related to your care and treatment and maintain a current account with the Practice.